By Dr. Becky Gillaspy
Summer is right around the corner and that means we will all be breaking out the shorts, t-shirts, and bathing suits in a couple of short months. That also means that many people are looking to lose those last 10 to 20 pounds before summer breaks into full swing.
There isn't much time but the good thing is that the warm weather is very motivating and naturally leads to better eating and more exercise.
Here are 5 fast tips you can follow to shed pounds before summer time hits:
1. Eat a salad every day. Let's keep it simple and sane. The best way for you to lose weight and the easiest way is to fill your body up with vegetables. Having a salad as one main meal a day or two side salads a day is a quick and convenient way to fill your stomach with volume. The pounds come off without a thought.
2. Move more. You cannot out exercise a poor diet. However, exercise is a great way to accelerate your healthy weight loss. Aim to increase either your intensity (how hard you exercise) or duration (how long you exercise). Even an extra 10 minutes a day will get you to your goal faster.
3. Cut the empty calories. Empty calories from processed foods such as pastries, candy bars, and chips pack on the pounds without effort. These foods contain the terrible combination of fats, sugars and salt. This combination has been found to be highly addictive. There is truth to the saying "you can't eat just one potato chip."
4. Don't count calories, Count Fiber. Calories can be deceiving if you are only counting calories, but eating calorie-dense junk foods then you will be starving your body of nutrients and leaving yourself feeling exhausted and ready to quit. Instead of counting calories, count fiber grams. Aim for at least 35 grams a day and you will never feel hungry or get too many calories. Fiber-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, beans, and flax seeds are naturally low in calories.
5. See the prize at the end. Changing your diet and exercise habits comes with some effort and if you do not have a clear goal in mind you will likely lose interest and decide that you are fine where you are at. A goal must be something that truly inspires you and it helps to be specific. Do you have someone you vacation with every year that you want to look good for? Do you have a favorite pair of shorts that you want to fit into? You will know your goal is right when you feel inspired each time you think about it.
There you have 5 quick tips for losing weight before the heat of summer hits. One thing for sure you and I are not getting any younger and summer only comes around once a year. Make this the year you look great and feel even better.
By eating a salad every day, counting fiber grams, cutting out the empty calories, moving more and setting your eyes on the prize you can lose 10 to 20 pounds before summer, drop a bathing suit size and increase your energy.
Want more easy to follow tips? Check out my free tricks that you can follow to lose 5 pounds this week.